I SHALL NOT WANT
– Loving the world makes a man live a life of want. Until man listened to the lies of the devil all their needs were met by God. Lovers of God don’t want.
– The psalmist understood better than the man who said “I undertook great projects: I built houses for myself and planted vineyards. I made gardens and parks and planted all kinds of fruit trees in them. I made reservoirs to water groves of flourishing trees. I bought male and female slaves and had other slaves who were born in my house. I also owned more herds and flocks than anyone in Jerusalem before me. I amassed silver and gold for myself, and the treasure of kings and provinces. I acquired male and female singers and a harem as well—the delights of a man’s heart. I became greater by far than anyone in Jerusalem before me. In all this my wisdom stayed with me. I denied myself nothing my eyes desired; I refused my heart no pleasure. My heart took delight in all my labor, and this was the reward for all my toil. Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind; nothing was gained under the sun.
Indeed there’s no profit in and for a life given to vanities of life. For a man’s life consists not in the abundance of the things which he possesses. The wants of life is insatiable but our needs are met as we follow and love the Lord. No wonder the psalmist didn’t say “I shall not need”, David knew his shepherd knows how to take care of all needs.
– Live for God and not for things. Our needs keep us dependent on the shepherdhood of the Lord Jesus. We don’t love Him for things He gives us, we rather learn to depend on Him for all our needs because we love and trust Him.
– A life of ‘want’ is a life full of anxiety and frustration. It’s a life of unending race with no medal at the end.
– People who live for ‘wants’ don’t have control over their lives and spirit, they live in bondage of possession. Following and loving Jesus Christ as your shepherd leads you away from the frustration of the world’s system.
– The lovers of the world run in vain after goodness and mercy but followers of the Lord have goodness and mercy following them ALL THE DAYS OF THEIR LIVES.
Just like David, lovers of God are anointed, defended, blessed in all ways, peaceful in trouble, joyful in tribulation, trusting the Lord every moment of the way & VICTORIOUS through it all.
Gehazi was a man who lived for his ‘wants’ and ran after it to his own destruction. Elisha on the other hand understood time and was sensitive despite his needs. His loyalty was towards God to whom he had left ALL.
“The Antidote to Loving the World Is Following the Master Every Moment of the Way”
– Pst Feyisara Adisa